Saturday, July 25, 2009

Painting a Closet and Fave Painting Tools

I'm painting the closet in the Girl's room today (here's the first one I painted, and you can see my other posts on her room here and here), along with a mirror and this desk to go in the closet to be used as a makeup table.

I might actually finish a room.

Dare to dream.

I thought I would share a few of my fave painting tools with you:
I bought this plastic thingy that pops onto the top of the paint can and makes pouring it out easy and it keeps the can clean. The reason you see paint dripping all over the side of the can is because the we did not use the plastic pouring thingy the first time we used this can of paint.
You need a paint brush to paint the corners, but it got to be a pain trying to paint all around the metal shelf in the closet, so I also used my favorite painting tool: A mini foam roller. It's awesome for painting furniture, too. It makes painting inside cabinets and drawers a lot easier.
Mr. Jones and I do not like to clean painting supplies, so we use disposable tray liners, and we throw away the rollers (not the frame, just the foam part). It will take you forever to rinse out a roller . . . I've tried. One thing we do not throw away is the drop cloth. Don't buy the plastic ones. Fork out $8 for a drop cloth at Walmart and use it over and over and over. It's better for the environment people. Yes, I know that doesn't really jive with all the disposable liners and rollers that we toss, but no one's perfect.
So what do you do when you have to let the first coat dry and you don't want to rinse everything? Wrap it all up in plastic wrap. Put a sheet over the paint in the pan, too. Beeeeee lazy. I'm such a lazy painter, that I might not even paint the 2nd coat. I'm going to wait for the 1st coat to dry and see what I can get away with. It is just a closet after all. And I've NEVER painted primer on a wall.
Last thing you might want to consider doing is wearing gloves. Just sayin'.

3 comments:

Heathahlee said...

I think the next time we start a painting project, we're going to get some pan liners. I know they have GOT to be better than cleaning the pan over and over!

Jen said...

I'm laughing because we do all of those things :) Must be 'things people learn who paint a lot'. The big drop cloths have saved carpet from spilled paint on so many occasions, they have MORE than paid for themselves.

Amber said...

My hubby and I just bought a new house and have been doing some painting ourselves. For those of us that don't use primer, we just found a fabulous alternative. Home Depot has a new Behr paint that has the primer already in it! It is SO easy to use and it covered beautifully in just one coat. If there are any spots where it is thin, you can go right back over it and it blends right in and doesn't leave roller marks. We have loved it! It's worth the few extra dollars for sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...