Monday, January 21, 2008

I've Come Back to My Senses ...

At least, temporarily. It was 6 degrees outside when I woke up this morning, to find my husband on the phone with the furnace repairman because our furnace died last night. What? You mean it has a FILTER in it that needs to be CHANGED, REGULARLY!??? Ooops. I'm from California, like, ok? Some people there don't even have and/or use heaters and air conditioners. But now I know. I also know, now, that home warranties don't cover repairs for lame homeowners who don't take care of their stuff. But here is a more positive tidbit that I learned, that you should know too, is even though the home warranty repair guy isn't covered, the home warranty company negotiates a seriously discounted rate, and we get to use that discounted rate even though we're not covered. So if you don't have a home warranty, it's really worth it. I'm really not bothered by the whole furnace drama today. We have a second furnace that works, space heaters, a fireplace and nice warm clothing. How many people don't have those things? I bet there is a family close to me right now that doesn't have any of that, maybe not even a home. So yeah, I'm appreciating everything I have right now.

So the repair guy will be here soon, my house is a wreck, and I finally have gotten my priorities straight. Yes, I'm posting on my blog after a serious dry spell. I should be cleaning. But all these nice blog friends have been stopping by to find out where the heck I am, and I think that is so cool. I have met the nicest people blogging, real friends.

So I thought I would share a few pictures from last month, and then I'll get back to cleaning. And then I have a hair appointment to make a few tweaks to the haircut I got last week. I have had long hair for about 4 years and I chopped it last week. I got a modified bob, and I absolutely *love* it. I'm going back today because I actually want the back a little shorter. I cut 10 inches off my hair people! And my poor honey, he really loves long hair. I didn't tell him I was doing it either. Anyway, I'll show you some pictures after I get it fixed just the way I want it today. I digress.

Here are some clipboards I made for teacher gifts at Christmas. I really love foam stamps lately, and I stamped their initials and some swirls with my set of Heidi Swapp foam stamps.

Here is a gift I made for my sweet mother-in-law Betty. I just used some scrapbook paper and Heidi Swapp rub-ons, and I distressed the edges of the photos. I threw a couple swirly stamps on this one, too. Betty is so wonderful. I need to send her so many more pictures than I do.
And here is a calendar I made Betty. It is on a clipboard, but it fits in the picture frame, too, which would be really cute. I got the templates for this from Shabby Miss Jenn. It was a tiny bit time consuming, but really pretty darn easy.
Here is January's page. Each month is different, and really cute.
I finished the curtains in the living room, and finally realized that curtain rods have no business being right above the window. I think there are a lot of people who don't know this, because most stores only sell 84" curtains. This is a crime! Anyway, I learn all these things the hard way, and my house has a lot of patchwork from holes I've drilled in the wrong place. The curtain hung just above the window just isn't quite as dramatic, and the one hung just below the molding makes the entire room look bigger. What a huge difference. Now I would like to get some bamboo blinds and hang them higher, too. No worries ... this isn't how my living room looks now. I just wanted to show you the difference and I snapped a pic before I fixed the other side.

16 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

Welcome back, we missed you! The clip boards are adorable, and the curtains look fab (I agree they look much better hung the other way). Good luck with the furnace.. just the word 'furnace' seems scary to me. :)

Elle Jay Bee said...

Wekcome back! You've been a busy girl!
I love the new curtains, and I'm with you: curtains almost always look better hung high!!

Can't wait to see your new "do"...I bet it's pretty!

Linda
xoxo

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

what great gifts! how lucky are they!

a new hairdo is always fun... do share!

cheers to you being back... yeah!

Linda said...

Glad you are back. The clip boards are really nice what a neat gift for a teacher.
Looking forward to seeing the new hair do.
Blessings,
Linda

Jenna Z said...

Excellent to know about the home warranty, we just bought our first house and asked for a home warranty paid by the seller and got it so it's good to know it might be good for something. :) One questions: What color are the walls of your living room? We are looking for a tan/khaki/ecru color and haven't quite settled on one yet.

Sandy said...

You're really creative, girl! Love those clipboards (I know that my daughter's teacher would have loved those!)
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back...I've checked in often and was worried you may have quit blogging!

Your's is the first blog I ever 'stumbled across' a few months ago when I was looking for baby shower ideas and saw your darling 'baby-flower-pots'.

I hope to start a blog soon (it's my news years resolution and yet I'm afraid it will be another 'too-do' on my list and I won't get the 'must-do's" done.

Love the curtains hung higher and I totally agree with you about the curtain makers. One solution I've found is to buy fringe (only with a coupon or on sail) to make the 'off the shelf curtains' a little longer.

Again, glad you are back and look forward to more photos from you!
DonnaRae C. in SoCal
P.S. stay warm it's 52 and raining in Ventura County today but not nearly as cold as your single digits!! YIKES!!

Julie said...

Brrr - I would have to curl up with my heating pad if it ever got that cold here!

Love love love the clip boards!!

kari and kijsa said...

Those are so fun...welcome back!

Have a blessed day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Unknown said...

Very cool projects! We missed you!! I am glad that you are back.

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Welcome back, and thanks for the pictures of your drapes...it does make a huge difference. Glad I stopped in to see you. I've clicked on your blog so many times...and you've been away. Hope your furnace is up and running soon.
Hugs,
Rose

Hillcrest Acres said...

I loved those clip boards you made for teacher gifts. You'll have to give us the details on how to make those.

Trish said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you are back! I love the clipboards! Can't wait to see the hair pics.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

love your clipboards! I like the idea of using initials.

Great new banner and wow, that curtain higher makes a BIG difference.

Sarah said...

Oh! Fun clip boards! What a great idea for teacher gifts...will keep that one in mind. Just found your blog! Be back to visit soon!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Unknown said...

Found you through Tip Junkie and love your clipboards and your blog :)

Hi from N Ireland.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...