Monday, March 30, 2009

I've been organizing things around the house lately and I thought I'd show you a couple things I did.
I got this cart at Costco for school supplies. I couldn't find new tape for my label maker (I'm thinking a 7 year old has something to do with this), so I used a sheet of laser printer labels. Now, with all the school supplies neatly organized and labeled, you would think my children wouldn't ask me where the paper is ... every time they do homework ... but yes, they do.

A bucket on top for pens and pencils.

Some candy for homework motivation. Finish a page, get a piece.

The fridge fell victim to my labeling, too. I changed the deli drawer into a snack drawer for kids. I ended up changing the fruit/veggie drawer to just veggies, and the meat drawer below it to a fruit drawer.

You can't read the labels very well, but we have a taco bin, a dairy bin and a lunch bin (lunch meat and cheese). I put the bins in because you can easily slide them in and out, so the food doesn't just pile up on the shelf and you have to stick your head in there just to find something in the back. You know what I'm talking about?

Next up is the cord monster that was growing in my kitchen cabinet. All the chargers had become tangled in a big ball. These storage cubes were at Walmart: 2 for $2. They fit perfectly into our entertainment center. We have cubes for computer cords, cell phone chargers, battery chargers, etc. There is even one for "unknown" which has been fabulous. Every time Mr. Jones says "Do you know where my ______ charger is?", I point him to the unknown cube and it's always there. Whoopee. He thinks I'm a rock star!
I almost forgot ... one thing I've started doing with our chargers and cords is writing down on an Avery label what the cord is for (we have about 5,000 cell phones and video game players in our house), and then I fold it over the cord. That way, any one can tell what it goes to and we don't keep old chargers because we don't know what they are for. Have I told you I love Avery labels?

7 comments:

Jen said...

Hmm, I need to get out the label maker - I never thought of bins in the fridge! and labeling the charges makes so much sense...great ideas.

Carry Grace said...

You have been an organizing machine! I have never thought about bins in the fridge. I might have to do this.

Jenna Z said...

WOW! Inspiring! My craft studio has gotten a little out of hand, but I did just move that new cabinet for fabric into there. I need to get some bins and label them for the Misc. that is floating about!

Linda said...

I am so glad to see you back here in blogville. You did a great job organizing all the school supplies and the fridge. My middle one was standing here as I read the post and of course wanted some of the candy for motivation.(great idea)
Have a great day!
Blessings,
Linda

Jill said...

Love that supply cart- so colorful and fun. And let me guess....they never have to ask where that candy is! ha! And what a great idea with the bins in the fridge. Our fridge always seems too small anyway, but that's a great way to gain some storage space.

Amy said...

I've just started labelling cords, too! I love those cubes!!

Denise said...

you had me at label maker.

you labeled the inside of your refrigerator!! i have label envy. i think my husband would tell me i had gone to far if i labeled in there, but oh how i would LOVE to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...