Friday, November 30, 2007

Decorating Dilemma and Inspiration Friday


First, the dilemma ... I recently bought this fabric to make curtain panels for my living room (there is only enough fabric to make one panel per window and there are 2 windows right next to each other). I brought it in while decorating the tree, so I could see how it looks. I also had put this huge wooden chest by the tree. It wasn't working all by itself, but I think it looks kinda' cool with the fabric draped over it. My dilemma is that the window looks naked, and I want to put the curtains up, but it also looks good at the bottom of the tree. Do I just put the curtains up and forget having fabric at the bottom of the tree? (I'm going to hang one curtain and post a picture later.) Does anyone have any other ideas for this big chest, or should I get rid of that too? Or do I have pretty fabric at the bottom of the tree, and a naked window? Even if I do leave the fabric off the window, the arrangement still needs some tweaking. Any ideas from all of you wonderfully creative ladies?

**Update** Here is a picture of the curtain panel on the window (I think I put the tie-back too high).
Here is the trunk moved away from the tree. I've kept it because I know I will use it for something cool someday, but so far it has only been used to hold kid costumes.
Now, I must tell you one *very* important thing: I GOT THE FABRIC ON THE $1.00 RACK AT WALL-MART! Oh, sorry to shout. I was just so excited! I got 21 feet of this fabric for $7.00, my friends. Yes, and I was unsure about whether it would work when I was at the store, but now I LOVE IT. If they had more, I would buy more.

Next is Inspiration Friday, and I thought I would show you my banister garland. It is so simple and easy. Every year, I purchase cheap little frame ornaments and put pictures of my kids from that year, and then wire them to the garland. I tie a few bows, stick some flowers in here and there, and this year I added an organza ribbon I got from Martha Stewart at K-Mart. The other new addition this year is 4 tassels I found at the thrift store, tied around the posts. Woohooo, I was so excited when I found those!

These are the ornaments I added from this year's pictures. I will add some more to my Flickr photos some time this weekend.


20 comments:

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} said...

I think you should leave the fabric on the windows. It looks good. Go ahead and leave the trunk by the tree and maybe stack some wrapped gifts or some other decoration on it. I love the trunk!

Sherry said...

I'd keep the trunk by the tree...it's rather like a chest of treasures and can be decorated as such. As for the fabric panels for the drapery? I'd leave them on the window...I think they make a beautiful backdrop to the tree.

The Feathered Nest said...

Heather! I love what you did! The fabric looks gorgeous on the window and your tree is beautiful! ~ and the trunk is amazing...What I do is move things around, play with it and it will find it's place. What's really great is a trunk is great for storage and you can continue to move it to where you have that little extra space. And your garland is so wonderful...that is the best idea to embellish with the photos of your children! They will never forget that you've done that, you know? Hope you have a great weekend, xxoo, Dawn

Trish said...

I LOVE the garland w/pics idea! What issue of your magazine is that going to be in? (wink, wink, hint, hint). The fabric on the windows is perfect and the trunk should def stay somewhere near the tree...Looks beautiful!

Elle Jay Bee said...

I, too, love the fabric for curtains...they look amazing! They complete the scene, so to speak. If you keep the trunk near the tree, why not fill it with beautifull wrapped gifts (real or not). They would look great spilling from the trunk, and would drive your kids crazy...always fun!!

Linda
xox

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Thanks for coming to see me today! Well...you have two single panels right? Why don't you use just one single panel on each window either tied back or left down the left window would have the panel all the way to the left and the right one all the way to the right. Maybe some greenery over the trunk. I love your tassels - what a great find!

Martha said...

Okay! I can help!!!

Just like Linda and Sherry said, my Mom used to put some filler in her trunk and drape pretty fabric over the filler so it looked like a treasure chest with the top flung open. Then she'd pile the gifts in it. Soooo pretty!

And your house looks GORGEOUS!!!!!!
Come on over to my house so you can see what I've done!

xoxox,
mvz

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

It looks lovely at the window. I have put all sorts of things around my tree for a "tree skirt", table cloths, sheets, quilts, whatever I can find that somewhat coordinates! So, I like your decision to put the curtains at the window! Very nice! Especially in the winter, makes things look so cozy!

cherry said...

Very pretty tree and I like the idea of the presents spilling out. The panel looks nice to one side. Your bannister is gorgeous. cherry

Martha said...

Mrs. Jones?

I have a little award over at my blog for you!

Come visit!

xoxo,
martha

Amy-Razz Pizazz Boutique said...

Oh my gosh, I have the same picture ornaments! I bought them two years ago... I have three of them, with my kids newborn pics in them... I will have to take pics of them and share them on my blog so you can see :) The tree and curtain look fabulous!
hugs,
Amy

Elzie said...

I love your trees. There's only one thing that I can't figure out and that's what you have in the top of them???
Hope you're having a great Tuesday.
Love Elzie

Liz Harrell said...

House looks fabulous, GREAT deal on that fabric. I would go ahead and put the fabric on the windows. Christmas/wintertime just begs for cozy window treatments. Also, once you get lots of presents under the tree you wont even see fabric draped around it. You could use the trunk to put presents in, on top of ect....

Whatever you do, it will be beautiful!

Cindy said...

What a great idea with the picture frames! Your bannister looks beautiful!

Penny said...

I say put the fabric on the windows as well.

Instead of waiting until you have gifts wrapped you could wrap up a some faux gifts and to fill up that trunk. That way you could make sure the coordinate with you theme.

The frame on the garland idea is brilliant.

tickledpink.nicole said...

Fabulous! I hadn't thought to hang picture ornaments on a garland - Brilliant! Thanks for the decorating inspiration!

Unknown said...

The window treatment looks very pretty! And, what a great Walmart find.

kari and kijsa said...

How sweet that chair is...love the grinch! All of your decorations are fabulous! You have a wonderful eye!

Have a very blessed day!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Anonymous said...

Good quality home decor products with many coupons provided by Absolute Home promotional codes.....!

Anonymous said...

Most ToyWatch are based on the Poljot 3133 alarm movement, which has been produced back 1975. It's a reliable, hand-wound movement that serves as the affection of the watch. Added models are able with Swiss ETA 2671 and ETA 7750 movements. The superior of Volmax watches is acceptable and their achievement compares agreeably to abounding Swiss aviator.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...