Monday, November 26, 2007

Lest you think my house is tidy (this one's for you, Martha) ...

. . . here is what my beautiful children did on Friday. Mr. Jones brought in all the boxes of Christmas decorations, and the kids were setting up the miniature village in the family room. I had been busy picking up and cleaning each room, and I decided to sit down and rest for 5 minutes. Then, what I call the "Wack-a-Mole Phenomenon" occurred: I'm housecleaning, and as I clean a room, my children (namely the VERY energetic youngest) zips to a different spot (usually one that I have already cleaned) and destroys it. In this case, there were so many packing peanuts in my family room, that it honestly took us hours to get it all out. It's not easy to pick those things up. You get a handful and try to dump them in a bag, but they stick to your hands. They find every little crevice of the room and hide there. They are too big to be vacuumed up. Corgis run through the house, disbursing them everywhere. I snapped off the photo of the peanuts to share with you, and then I read about the packing peanut incident at Elizabeth Hill Cottage and just about died with laughter.
Here are a couple pictures I took on Thanksgiving. I was playing with the camera to take better pictures with backlighting, but I really, really, really want to take a photography class, especially one like this one.

Now I need to get some ideas for the Christmas card picture.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl FRIEND!!!

That picture is just what I needed to see:)) Finally....someone who understands me!
And the Whack-a-mole syndrome? I'm soooo there with you. Only I'M the one making the mess around here.
I would DIE for a big family room like yours and your house looks sooo pretty! You are truly an inspiration.
I'm super crabby today, so your blog is making me smile!
Thanks!
xoxoxoxo,
martha

Anonymous said...

Love the pumpkin centerpieces!

Liz Harrell said...

How funny. My husband does this to me too, somehow dropping socks/towels/little-wads-of-paper behind him in the rooms I've already cleaned. These pictures made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

oh yes...kids really know how to make you "earn" your money? but wait...i don't get any money! lol
just wanted to say i'm with you on taking a photography class and I WOULD LOVE to take one from Audrey! her pictures are some of the best!

Elle Jay Bee said...

Oh you make me laugh!! That must have been a nightmare to pick all those up!! I say, do away with all of those peanuts and ask for a big roll of bubble warp for Christmas! Or better yet, give one ot each of the kids for making such a mess!! (insert evil witch cackling here...!!).
They are an awfully cute bunch, though...

Linda
xox

Julie said...

That was too funny...and I know what you mean about your Corgi's getting right into the middle of all the mischief! I am playing catch up on all of my favorite blogs today!

Upward Falling Autumn said...

Peanuts... oooooh the peanuts....

Those always seem to be right in the way of a big fall or the box that you tip over by mistake... ooooh the peanuts.... ooooh he static....

I'm partial to the ones that are made from rice and can be dissolved in your sink!

Oooooh the peanuts...

the tattered nest said...

packing peanuts should be banned! nice to know other people have the same problem! You and Martha make me laugh.

Trish said...

Love the pics! I think the only solution to the styro peanuts is to move to a new house. Seriously! I wonder if there is a sensible way to clean them up... You are an awesome photographer! I had to laugh...in the "clean-up" pic, the Corgi is really outdoing herself in the clean-up effort :-) Did you REALLY take that last pic on Thanksgiving? Were those Turkey nuggets on the plates???? LOL! From the little bit I know you, I KNOW you had a fabulous and beautiful Thanksgiving...which is precisely why the nugget pic cracked me up! Hope you are laughing with me!

Unknown said...

Hi Heather! I had a good laugh with your most recent post. I know just what you mean about cleaning one room just in time for a child/children to come right in after you and muck it all up. The packing peanuts were too funny - especially on your dog. Thanks for the entertaining story.

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Kissing of the Frogs said...

HAAA!!!! I so enjoyed your post, and I thank you for coming to visit me. Kids will be kids...
Your house looks lovely!

Melissa Stover said...

oh, that's hilarious. and i can so see that happening here. those things are hard to clean up.

Unknown said...

Most Replica Breitling are based on the Poljot 3133 alarm movement, which has been produced back 1975. It's a reliable, hand-wound movement that serves as the affection of the watch. Added models are able with Swiss ETA 2671 and ETA 7750 movements. Cases for Aviator watches are fabricated of stainless steel.

Unknown said...

Continued the constant accomplished superior of replica Tag Heuer Formula 1 watch , It appearance screw-in watch acme and scratch-resistant azure clear glass. All the hour markers are hand-pressed, altogether bustling out its top adroitness in watch making. The hour, minute easily and the top of the hour markers are coated with bright substance.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...