Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Picking Paint Colors and Decorating on a Budget


I'm picking paint colors this week to repaint my living room. I really love the red walls, but it makes the room look too dark and small. And I really *don't* like the taupe below it. I am pretty clueless about paint colors, so I have been fussing over it for weeks. I think I will paint the room a light mossy green, and the ceiling a light tan. Please tell me what you think.



I want to share with you some bits and pieces I picked up from WalMart over the past month. Not bad, eh?

The damask note cards were about 2 or 3 dollars, and I even love the envelopes!

I am going to use the tiny buckles with ribbon to wrap gifts. There are also some smoky colored "crystals" (plastic) that I bought, but I'm not sure exactly what I will do with them yet. The big pearl brooch is actually a buckle. I tied it into ties of my black chair slipcover I have in my craft room. I have included a picture of the back side of it below. Oh, and I almost forgot, the toile fabric is also courtesy of WalMart. It was so cheap, I bought what was left of the bolt. It will make all sorts of neat things.



Here is my harlequin trash can . . .




















And here is the back side of the brooch.


I would love to play all day, but unfortunately I have some serious housecleaning to do.

6 comments:

Martha said...

Hey Heather!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Now I'm returning the favor :)

To answer your cabinet question: It's very easy. But very time consuming. I have the time right now, so I'm glad I'm doing it. I got really good direction from the This Old House website. Just do a search using "paint kitchen cabinets". I think the first result is a goodie. It tells you what kind of primer to use and everything.

A word about that primer (BIN by Zinsser) It adheres really well. I'm really messy and its all over everything.

Oooo! I hope you do it! And take pictures! I'm addicted to pictures!

I really enjoy your blog!

Martha

Tracey said...

Housecleaning is highly over rated...at least that's what I tell myself as I visit pretty blogs like yours (instead of cleaning my toilets!)

It's funny...you're painting over your red and I'm just beginning to turn my walls the same color =)

HeatherJ said...

Housecleaning is overrated--I agree. I have a very messy house today, and have been alternating cleaning-blogging-cleaning-gardening, etc. Soooo hard to get motivated, because the mess will be back tomorrow. But I really can't function with chaos.

Good luck with red painting. I think it is a great color, but I need neutral. What room are you doing?

Thanks for stopping by my little blog.

Tracey said...

I think the green would look great with your sofa.Will you leave the taupe below the chair rail? Remember, it's only paint, so if you do choose the green and don't like it, it is easy to redo.
I love your Wal-Mart treasures. I got both of my daughters the brocade looking note cards for Christmas in their stockings!
By the way, I love your Blog!

HeatherJ said...

Thanks Tracey! I was planning on painting all the walls green, but it wouldn't hurt to try leaving the taupe and then painting over it if it doesn't work. I don't know why I'm always so scared to try painting things . . . it's pretty easy to fix. Good luck with your new location at the antique mall!

longge said...

Then this cute replica handbag is your wannabe! The ample capacity of 11.8″ x 13″ x 3.1″ strengthen my mind of taking it around during the casual summer days. It’s a shame to feel holding-back at the sight of hefty price of the authentic Louis Vuitton Saumur bag, to make up, the website has more consideration for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...